I love smoothies and I love avocado, but for some reason I never put the two together. Avocados rank as one of my favourite flavours in the world, just by itself. I never thought that I could make it even more delicious than it already is.
I had some ripe avocados sitting around and as much as I enjoy nibbling on them, I wanted a different way to use it up. I went online to find quick and easy ways to use up my avocados, when I came across an avocado smoothie recipe. I was surprised that it was even possible, and the shade of green looked so pretty.I later found more recipes, and looking through them all I got the gist of what would be good in it, so I created my own recipe for an Avocado Smoothie with the common ingredients I found in the others.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 cups of milk (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1/2 cup of vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1-3 tablespoons of honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- Peel and pit the avocado and place the peeled avocado in the blender with the honey.
- Blend for a couple of seconds so the honey and avocado are well mixed. (If you don’t do this, the honey will harden when it comes into contact with the cold milk and yogurt and become lumpy in your smoothie).
- Add the milk and yogurt and blend until smooth.
In short, this is the best smoothie I have ever made, beside the super-ripe mango smoothie I made a couple of months ago. And I would gladly make this again, if I ever need to use up some avocados.
I suggest checking out some of the other variants of the recipe online, as each are a little different. You may find one that will suit your tastes if this one doesn’t, or you can do your own experimenting if you are adventurous in the kitchen. It doesn’t have to be on its own either. You can pair avocados in a smoothie with other fruits like pear and banana for variety.
That’s what makes smoothies so great, you can put just about anything in it, and like I discovered today, even avocados.